Monday, October 27, 2008

Obamanos! 8 days and working

I've written extensively over the last couple of days but I find that much of my writing has been far too emotional to share. I've decided to keep it simple and give the facts.

Member contact slowed down Thursday and Friday because the AFL-CIO was in the process of reorganizing and resubmitting member lists for the Get Out The Vote operation starting Saturday. These days were spent doing final ID (identifying voter candidates) canvassing and scanning of documents. Mostly I do “staff” work for Tiffany, Hammer and Don Manning. We get everything organized for callers and canvassers. We are also responsible for getting all the information scanned, merged and forwarded to the AFL. Through this system, we have managed to contact 85% of union members in the Albuquerque area. It's a significant number of folks and our mission now is to have 70% of those folks vote early.

While Tiffany and Hammer completed the final GOTV list Friday afternoon, about 20 of us were sent down to the University of New Mexico to help the Obama campaign set up for the rally scheduled to take place on Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
I think the large number and high energy of us Labor 2008 folks made the Obama folks nervous. The place was filled with workers doing construction and electrical work, as well as tones of media people setting up and broadcasting. With so much going on, after a half hour of setting up barrier gates, Don Manning asked half of us to return to the office.

On Saturday we met at the Labor 08 offices at 9:00 a.m. The AFL lists were cut and canvass packets were mapped and ready to be run. By 9:30 the place was packed and many new volunteers were arriving. Just before the morning meeting began I heard a voice behind me yell "Jilala!!!" Michelle (WRR's former paralegal) was standing there. She now works for the nurses union and was sent to volunteer for the week. Michelle, her co-worker and I all teamed up and canvassed the North valley until around 2 p.m. then returned to the office. The rest of the afternoon was spent scanning the morning's walk results.

Later in the afternoon, Tiffany gave me a “Red” pass for the Obama rally. I was so excited I could not keep myself from jumping up and down. I knew there would be a labor section but I did not know there was another section that a limited number of people would be given permission to enter. Generally, the rally was open to the public.

At about 5 p.m. I headed down to the rally with Mike (Mail Carrier), Ramiro (Laborer) and Rachel (Steelworker). A large crowd was expected so we parked about mile away and walked down towards the campus. Although the rally did not start until 7, by 5:30 the streets and roads around the campus were already congested with Obama supporters.
We arrived at the field and were directed to a rather short line to be checked by security before entering. As we approached, red ticket holders were guided into a small area that circled the podium. Those that arrived earlier than us held their positions ten heads deep from the closest barrier to the podium. From our position, we were still 30 feet from the podium -- incredibly close to the podium where Governor Richardson, George Lopez and Obama would be speaking. I can't tell you how excited I was.

Over the next three hour wait, I entertained myself by trying to capture the energy and beauty of people and the scene with my camera. Out of my range of view were the thousands of people who were waiting in line for hours to get onto the field. At one point a Longshoreman from San Diego put me up on his shoulders so I could photograph how far the crowd went out. Even so, with the sun nearly set, I could not see where the heads ended. It was a vision that reminded me of the horizon of the dessert that meets Albuquerque.
As if my position was not already good enough, when I stepped back to find water, Don Manning approached me, took my hand and dragged me and Maggie Campbell (Laborer Organizer) directly in front of the podium. I'm not sure why but Don Manning and Tiffany seems to be looking out for me. Perhaps it’s just that they treat everyone with courtesy and appreciation and each of us are able to take it personally. Whatever the case, I am eternally grateful to them for allowing me to be of service and for making the experience so pleasant.

I am now front and center as Barack Obama comes to stage. The zoom lens I brought is too strong and I wish I had my 35 mm lens. I'm shaking so much as he steps to stage that I take one blurry picture after another. If you ever appreciated the eloquence of Obama’s speech and appearance, this impression is tenfold in person. It was a powerful experience. Obama focused on the economy.
Much of what Obama said was repetitive from other speeches: "Raise your hand if you make under $25,000!" "tax breaks" "working class" "Union jobs." Additionally, he spoke about his plans for education. Personally, I would have liked to hear more about education during this election, so I was please to hear Obama speak again on his plans to make education more affordable.

After speaking for about a half hour, Obama decended the stage and began shaking hands with those of us around the barrior. As he came closer, I was sure he would turn around any minute and depart. The closer he got it was as if everything slowed down. Moments later, he was standing directly in front of me with only a metal barrier gate between us. He took my hand and I said “I hope your grandmother gets better soon.” He took my hand with both of his, looked me in my eyes and said “Thank you so much.” Yes, I am Obama struck. I will never forget that moment. Shortly after, he did depart and the crowds moved out.

As the thousands of made our way of the campus, we passed a tattoo shop that was having a special that day. For Saturday only, you could get a free Obama tattoo.

It was an incredible day. The total number of people present at the rally was approximately 45,000. It was a good turnout, especially considering that McCain’s rally - a couple miles away - that same day drew 900 people.

Sunday I had an emotional hangover but arrived at Labor 08 at 9 a.m. with everyone else to do more scanning and mapping until 5.

This afternoon I went with the Laborers to the City yard again to pass out early vote and voter rights information. We’ll be here until 9 calling and scanning.

Tomorrow I’m taking the day off. I hope to catch Michelle Obama in Las Vegas, NM. She's speaking at noon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Land of Enchantment keeps on delivering! Your work is important and they gave you a little gift: front row seat for all that scanning! Good luck in the final days